Pair of Edward Welby Pugin Oak ‘Granville’ Side Chairs, circa 1875, heavy carved oak seat with arched A-frame supports with four pierced holes, peg joint cross rail with flying curved back rest on angled supports, two brass ball feet on the front legs. 20½“ (back slate width) x 33” (high) x 18” (seat height.) Some signs of wear and age.
Edward Welby Pugin (1834-1875), was the eldest son of one of the most famous British architects, Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin (1812-1852), who, following in his father's footsteps was keenly interested truth to materials and truth of construction, for which this design of the Granville Chair is praised most highly by many.
There are a few variations of this chair due to the use of different woods and inlays or plugs, as well as differing designs, some having five or four holes in the side panels under the seats, some with brass ball feet.
This is largely due to the failure of the Granville Hotel, Ramsgate, which lead to Pugin filing for bankruptcy in 1873. Pugin had created numerous pieces of furniture for the project including the Granville chair, (the original design, undated, can be found at Kew Public Records Office inscribed ‘front elevation of chair quarter real size Designed by E. Welby Pugin.’) As a consequence made by two different furniture companies, Cox & Sons and C & R Light, from about 1876, as a consequence of the bankruptcy of the Granville Hotel in 1873.
The Granville chair design has increasing becoming recognized as the archetypal "Gothic"chair and can be seen in many major museum allover the world, as well as a great many important private decorative art collections.